Date:      03 Apr 2001 20:00:58 +0200
From:      Bjoern Groenvall <bg@sics.se>
To:        Shawn Rutledge <shawndr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates and fsck in practice

>>>>> "Shawn" == Shawn Rutledge <shawndr@yahoo.com> writes:

Shawn> My question: Is anyone running a system using soft updates and
Shawn> NOT fscking after crashes? Is it even reasonable in practice?

Works fine here. We don't have that many crashes though.

Shawn> Mount refuses to mount a filesystem that isn't marked clean. If
Shawn> anyone is doing the above, what (non-fsck) mechanism do you use
Shawn> to mark the filesystems clean?

We mount these file systems using the force option. There is no need
to mark any file systems as clean.

This is a snippet from fstab:

# The following FS's are *NOT* fsck:ed during boot and
# *MUST* be manually fsck:ed sometime later after a crash. /bg
#                                      Dump    0=NO fsck
/dev/da0s2e     /e1     ufs rw,force   0       0

In the night after a crash (or sometimes many days later) we run fsck.

One last note, if you ever have some kind of media failure you *must*
run fsck immediately!!! Also, make sure that write caching is not
enabled (camcontrol modepage da1 -m 8 -P 0 | grep WCE).

/Björn

--
Bjorn Gronvall (Björn Grönvall)                        /_______________/|