Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:08:58 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Eric I Arnoth <earnoth@UDel.Edu>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new laptop, pcmcia slots

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 08:10:48AM -0500, Eric I Arnoth wrote:
> I'm in the forced position at this moment to buy a new laptop, either old
> or low-end new.  Before I do, however, I want to make certain I won't make
> the same mistake as I did with my current COMPAQ laptop.  My current
> problem is that the PCCard (PCMCIA) slots are apparently proprietary in my
> model/make (curse Compaq to hell ;) and I have been unable to use the
> ethernet card (3Com 3c589D) because of either that, or plug&play issues.
> (On my Compaq, one cannot turn of the PnP in the BIOS.)
>
> Would everyone and anyone on the list please tell me of the laptops they
> are aware of, both make and model, which are PCMCIA-trouble-free?  I would
> greatly appreciate such help, and I will be sure to consult the PAO
> homepage and get that list of experiences as well.  Thank you kindly for
> your time.

I personaly liked the Hitachi M series or now the Visionbook Plus or Pro
series. the M and Plus have built in 10mbit/sec PCI ethernet plus modem.
the Pro has 10/100 plus modem. No PCMCIA stuff. Hardware on the M was
supported last time I used it with FreeBSD. Not sure what ethernet chip is
in the Plus or Pro.

--
Regards, Ulf.