Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 05:29:49 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, core@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, kaleb@x.org, phk@critter.tfs.com, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: Locale stuff: call for conclusion.

In message <199510182046.NAA00860@phaeton.artisoft.com> Terry Lambert
    writes:

>> >	Use ISO 8859-1 as the C locale.
>>
>> We already agree. I expect some sort of patch from you or Kaleb.

>Copy the 8859-1 US locale.  No real patch is needed.

Wait. I remember Bruce's proposal to eliminate all upper/lower
tags, he refers to ANSI here and Kaleb agrees.
I have several ideas in this direction: maybe remove punct, space
and alpha tags too? I.e. made it in two parts: control & printable.
Or maybe three parts (control/printable/alpha)?
Bruce, what you can say?

>The ability to link XPG/3 by default and XPG/4 by option is required
>to support the optional rather than the "all or nothing" transition
>between "i18n function" and "full function".

>The reason to "mess with the linker" is so that XPG/4 binaries are
>not required to be statically linked and we are not required to
>maintain a full seperate C library, only an XPG/4 library.  Otherwise
>XPG/4 internationalization is second class twice: once because of the
>effort to go XPG/3->XPG/4, and once because of the link differences
>and (potentially) the larger static binary.

Well, so lets put XPG3 library into libc and made additional XPG4
library linked by -lxpg4. I assume that two libraries will
be made from same sources, of course. Do you agree with that?

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -