Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 2010 16:33:43 +0100
From:      "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@kompasmedia.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: video cam with room view for FreeBSD && Skype

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> To do normal Skype session (face2face) I'm using a USB video cam mounted on top
> of the lid of my laptop which is good supported by the pwc kernel module:
>
> Mar  5 09:39:57 current kernel: ugen4.2: <Philips> at usbus4
> Mar  5 09:39:57 current kernel: pwc0: <Philips product 0x0329, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.03, addr 2> on usbus4
> Mar  5 09:39:58 current kernel: pwc0: This camera is equipped with a Sony CCD sensor + TDA8787 (32)
>
> I would like to have a bigger model to do the same with a group of
> colleagues on my side, i.e. put the cam 3-4 meter away from the table.
> Does someone knows a good model for doing that, wall or table mounted
> and with a long USB cable, and supported in FreeBSD 8-CURRENT?
>
> Thx
>
> 	matthias

In the past I've had reasonable succes using a standard camcorder over
firewire to do things like this. It's been a few years though. If using
firewire isn't an issue for you, I'd be happy to delve into my pile of
notes and see if I can find you something of a howto. The advantage of a
firewire camera is in the much more standardized protocol between PC and
camera.

Bas