Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:42:13 -0400
From:      "Bob Johnson" <fbsdlists@gmail.com>
To:        justins <justin@justnosweat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spamassassin

On 9/18/06, justins <justin@justnosweat.net> wrote:

> I`ve installed spamassassin rules on my sentmailserver and i am trying to
> filter my mail in order to pick out some spam.
> The spamd process is running only it doesn`t add anything to my mail
> heather so procmail can`t forward it to the caughtspam folder.

spamd is the daemon version of spamassassin.  It doesn't do anything
unless something hands mail to it via its companion program, spamc
(unless you want to roll your own interface program). It is intended
to be used on high-volume servers that can't stand the overhead of
starting a new spamassassin process for each email message.

> How do i start spamassassin in order to filter my incomming mail.
> Anyone.....

That depends on your server. If it knows how to use spamd/spamc, then
configure it according to its documentation.  Otherwise, to filter an
individual message in a file, use the spamassassin program (rather
than spamd), e.g. "spamassassin /path/to/message/file".  Or more
likely you will want to pipe the message to spamassassin on stdin and
get the marked-up message from stdout.

If you need more detail than that, you probably should be looking at
the documentation for your mail server or for spamassassin. Every
server package seems to have a different way to do it.

- Bob