Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 1997 17:45:04 -0500
From:      Brian & <reichert@oneida.internet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ampersand in GECOS field

Howdy-

In dicking with various MTAs/MUAs, I've noted an inconsistant handling of an
ampersand ('&') in the GECOS field in the password file.

It was an assumption of mine that getpwent() would expand an ampresand to be
a capitalized represention of the username.  Ie.:  my username (reichert),
and GECOS entry ('Brian &') would yield: 'Brian Reichert'.

Yet, this does not seem to be the case.  Apparently, only _some_ mail-related
agents manually expand the ampersand.

I can't find any formal documentation about this behaviour, imagined or
otherwise.  Does anyone have any pointers?

--
Brian Reichert						The Internet Company
617-547-3600 x161					96 Sherman Street