Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:22:43 -0500
From:      Dong Lin <dong@research.bell-labs.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   help: can't boot 5.0 diskless

Hi, I have been running etherboot/diskless machines successfully with
several 4.x releases. Now I have trouble bringing up 5.0 diskless x86
machines. The same dhcp/nfs/etherboot setup works for 4.x. But the 5.0
kernel freezes and eventually crashes without printing anything on the
console. I am pretty sure it has passed the etherboot stage, network
traces showed that init was loaded via NFS. If I replace the 5.0
kernel with a 4.7 image, it simply works.

Can someone tell me what different things I have to do in a diskless
5.0 kernel? I do have the BOOTP, BOOTP_* and NFS_ROOT options enabled.

Thanks for your help,

Dong Lin