Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 22:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Daren Jacobs <djacobs@COMMUNICATIONS.RUTGERS.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp download for installation

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Daren Jacobs wrote:

> I have a t1 link to the internet at work and I would like to
> download freebsd via ftp so that I can install it on my
> computer at home.  I would like to get all of release 2.1.5.
> How can I ftp the entire release under Windows95.

It would be better to pull each distribution (/bin, /manpages, etc)
separately, since at the end they have to be segregated anyway.  Also pull
/floppies (at LEAST boot.flp) and /tools/rawrite.exe so you can run the
install procedure.

> I attempted to ftp the entire /pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-Release directory and
> subdirectories from ftp.cslab.vt.edu but it fails due to
> symbolic links to the 2.1.0 release.  Again my question is
> What do I need to download to have the entire 2.1.5 release
> of freebsd so that I can install it on my home computer?

> Another problem that I am having is that I am ftping the
> release with a windows95 ftp client and althought I can get
> files and directories that have more than 8 characters when I
> look at the directories in dos there is a ~ to compensate for
> the larger directories.  Is there a workaround to this.

Nope.  But the DOS-related files & distributions do conform to 8.3
filename limits.

I'd install the system first and pull the ports & packages later, and then
grab the ones you want.  Just the packages take up most of a CDROM, just
to give you an idea of how big the whole ports & packages tree is.