Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:39:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Clark <email@john.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Ports from CD

Jordan,

>Also, many of the people complaining about being unable to download
>packages in the past were actually complaining about a bogus INDEX
>file in the packages directory which listed the *superset*, e.g. ports.
>Then they went to download the netscape package and were disappointed. :)
>
>The current releases prune the INDEX first to match the packages.
>
>Why don't we revisit this with 2.2 and see if people are still
>having problems loading packages from media other than CDROM?
>It certainly should work.

Jordan,

The problem I was having is that I mounted the CD-ROM on an NT server that
did not unmangle the file names.  I noticed in the FTP log files that the
distribution was trying to fetch:

	filename.rev.tgz

While the ISO 9660 standard would yield the filename.rev and truncate after
the first "."  If the CD is mounted on a FreeBSD box, the filenames are
correct.

It would be nice if the FTP utility used during install would notice that
if the remote file system were not unix, to mangle the names first, fetch,
then repair.  This would not be as hard as you think.  I certainly would be
willing to help as much as possible in this effort.  I certainly don't know
enough about NT to determine if there were some way to get the filesystem
to recognize INDEX_00 files.  Are INDEX_00 files part of the ISO 9660
standard?

Thanks,

John Clark
[email@john.net]