Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:36:23 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        John Holland <john@zoner.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Stable boot hangs

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:06:03AM -0400, John Holland wrote:
> Sunday, I did a fresh cvsup of RELENG_4, made and installed world and a new
> kernel.  The reboot hangs at the point the old kernel gets to the two ed*
> devices (old Thomas Conrad NE2000 NICs).  Before this, the system was
> working perfectly.
>
> Did something break in the ed driver in the two months since I last built
> the system from source?

On 06/17 there was a change in sys/dev/ed/if_ed.c, which causes my ISA
NE2000 compatible to hang at boot time, just like in your case. I contacted
Paul Saab, who commited the change, about it and hope he will have a
solution. As a quick workaround, you might try replacing if_ed.c with an
'old' one and recompile your kernel. I didn't try this myself. Instead
I replaced my ISA NIC with a PCI NIC (also using ed0...) which works fine.
If you go into config mode during boot and disable the ed driver the system
will boot again - without network of course :-(.
(The change in if_ed.c had to do with probing newer cards).

Karel.