Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 00:27:51 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network/Modem problems...

Hi...

	I'm having a strange problem with my modem, and am wondering if
anyone has any ideas...

	I'm running FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT, and due to the problem, figured I'd
spend tonight upgrading my system.  Previously, was running a July 12th
kernel...

	The problem *appears* to be temporary network lag, except that ping
reports something around a 1% packet loss.  Right now, I'm trying to cvsup
down the new source tree, and it is just hanging there, altho a ping runs
perfectly (the 1% packet loss was on 75 packets, while cvsup was running...)

	If I telnet to a remote machine, I get relatively steady 'hangs'
there also, where a screen refresh will clear the screen, then redraw part of
the screen, pause, redraw a bit more, pause, etc...with the pausing being
up to a minute or more.  And, again, a ping doesn't show much packet loss,
or much change in ping times (~300ms on a 33.6 modem)..

	Not sure if that presents near enough information for an educated
guess/suggestion, but its all I can think of right now :(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org