Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 21:06:36 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mod_php4 and other questions.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc: <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2000 8:11 PM

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
> > Each module port would have the following in their make files:
> >
> > Makefile:
> >
> > PKGNAME=mod_module-${VERSION}
> >
> > CONFLICTS= apache_fp-* apache-<1.3.12 apache+ipv6-<1.3.12 \
> >                       apache+mod_ssl-* apache+php-* apache+ssl-<1.3.12
>
> Thats lame.

Yes it's lame to have the above number of Apache ports, that is why I am
proposing we cut the number down to 3 main Apache ports (Apache13,
Apache13+ipv6, and Apache-SSL).

> I propose that we build all apache modules using APXS.  We still have to
> handle starting SSL and having a different port for IPv6 on pre 4.0 boxes
> but on 4.0 we can always link in the IPv6 stuff.

Will this work on a 4.0 system that doesn't have the IPV6 option in the
kernel?

> If we build with EAPI then all we need are

The mod_* ports will be using the APXS method to build the modules.
Apache-SSL doesn't use EAPI as its a Mod_SSL extentions only.

> apache-VER
> mod_ssl-VER
> mod_fp-VER
> mod_php4-VER
> mod_php3-VER
> etc...

We need to include the Apache-SSL port also, as the Author of that port
wants the mod_* ports to support the Apache-SSL server.  That's why I
included the example mod_* Makefiles and INSTALL scripts, they attempt to
identify which of the 3 main Apache server ports are currently installed.

Will a module compiled on one of the main Apache ports work on the other
main Apache ports.  I don't think they will, but I'll add that to my testing
in order to verify whether we can get away with one module package, or will
require 2-3 module packages for each mod_* port.

> This having 5 different Apache ports is stupid.

Actually there are 7 Apache ports (2 PHP ports).  And I agree that it is
stupid to have that many differnet apache ports.