Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 19:15:27 +0100
From:      "Amandeep" <aman@chamkila.org>
To:        <james>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, postmaster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error installing FreeBSd 5.3 AMD 64 bit-Highpoint 1820A

Steven Hartland wrote:

> Sounds like u have followed the install guide with the drivers.
> I couldn't get that to work ( without ACPI ) I had to install with
> ACPI but this was 5.4-RELEASE but using the 5.3 driver from
> highpoints site as there wasn't a 5.4 driver available.
> 1. Boot from cd
> 2. got to boot prompt, load the driver from floppy
> 3. unplug the floppy ( must to this as floppy under amd64 is
> broken )
> 4. boot the kernel and install.
>
> Notes:
> 1. I was using a RAID 5 array 5 disks * 400Gb.
> 2. Create the array using 16 k stripe or the performance will be
> poor.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Amandeep" <aman@chamkila.org>
>
>>> I am instalaling FreeBSD 5.3 AMD 64 bit with  6- 200GB drives. Using
>>> Higpoint 1820A controller and doing RAID 10. I am using drivers for
>>> the card from Highpoint Web.
>>>
>>> The problem is when I make the partitions and the machine tries to
>>> format the partitions it says:
>>>
>>> unable to find device node for /dev/da0s1b under /dev!
>>>
>>> and then it comes out.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what is going on. Also tried making two slices no luck.

> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd.
> and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of
> misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying,
> printing or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in
> it.
> In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission
> please telephone (023) 8024 3137
> or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.

Hi all,

Ok, The 3ware and Highpoint works fine with 4GB of RAM. But I can hook
another 4GB wiht 3ware and it works fine wiht 8GB but thats not the case
for Highpoint.
Highpoint dont work with installation of 4GB and then inserting 4GB.
And it works fine wiht ACPi disables and floppy is present.

Aman