Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 18:38:02 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   System hangs ... out of ideas ...

I have a server on a SuperMicro Dual MB, good for 4g of RAM (only have
1gig right now) motherboard ... onboard SCSI, onboard Ethernet ... only
thing not onboard was the video card ... purr'd like a kitten, never had a
problem with it ... runs ~60 jails quite well ...

On monday morning, we installed a second 18gig hard drive ... rebooted,
shut down one of the jails to copy it to the new drive ... after
10minutes, hung solid.  No keyboard, no pings nothing ...

Great, bad drive, so, since we can't do anything about it right away, we
leave the drive idle except a bit of swap ... hung at 1am ... tech went
down, pulled the drive out and rebooted ...

6am, she hangs again ... same symptoms, one less drive ... so it isn't
that drive ...

tech goes down, reboots ... I get long enough to login to the machine,
start up a top process ... hangs solid again ...

We haven't touched anything on the motherboard, no changes in RAM, just
added and then removed that one 18gig drive ... we've checked (and will
re-check) to make sure cables and RAM is seated right, but first scan
through the machine showed both to be fine ...

I've pretty much run out of ideas ... if it was SCSI, I should be able to
ping the box still, normally, right ... ?

The catalyst appears to have been the 18gig drive, as far as we can tell
... but removing it, the problem persists ...

I'm running 4.3-STABLE(ish) on that machine ... might be a couple of weeks
old, its down right now (and 2500km away), so can't get any specifics ...

Help?  Thoughts?  Someething I'm not thinking to look at?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org