Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:57:15 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA ATAPI-5 driver & comments

Thanks Oliver,

I mainly was trying to pinpoint what issues people were still seeing with
the ATA driver dealing with CDROMs and hard drives. Usually, the problem is
cable/motherboard/BIOS/setup(config) issues more than driver issues.

Since many people subscribe to stable, it may be beneficial to know
to gather this information upfront before a code freeze on v4.7. Utilites
like vinum, atacontrol, or driver issues can be addressed now and tracked so
we can all beenfit at the next release. There are many maintainers and
committers, busy with their own lives and jobs, that need feedback with
things needing updating/tweaking/debugging.

I'm interested in people using ATA drives for RAID solutions (>1 TB storage)
under FreeBSD and the upkeep of ports/packages. As more people use >137 GB
ATA drives, I hope to see more feedback on controllers and hard drives that
run successfully under FreeBSD (RAID especially).

Ken