Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 02:29:05 -0600
From:      Tom Jackson <tom@gorilla.net>
To:        Sean-Paul Rees <magic@ulink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 2.2.5 to 3.0-CURRENT

On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 09:43:30PM -0800, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
> Hello:
>
> 	I have a 2.2.5-STABLE machine at work,  with a dual CPU
> architecture.  Is it possible to cleanly upgrade from 2.2.5-STABLE to
> 3.0-CURRENT by just downloading the
> ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys
>
> 	and write it over the current kernel code,  and just recompile?
> I'd like some input,  since I'd like to be able to use the other
> processor.
>
> 	Also,  I have a copy of BSD/OS 3.1,  and I was wondering if
> anybody had any ideas as in the way of benefits of FreeBSD of BSD/OS.
> (Please do NOT send flames or bring $$$ in the picture) :>
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sean-Paul Rees - magic@ulink.net
> ---------------------------------
> System/Network Administrator -- Ulink Internet Services
> 916-973-0260 - support@ulink.net - http://www.ulink.net

No, you can't just download that portion and upgrade. Read you FreeBSD
handbook to determine which method you want to use to update, CTM by ftp
or email, or cvsup. Both work great.

Don't know about running bsdi and FreeBSD on the same computer. I would
suspect that perhaps bsdi might not cooperate so well when trying to install
with other OSs, maybe not, give it a try ->But<- make a good backup before
trying.

GL

Tom