Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:39:33 +0530
From:      ashish@freebsd.org (Ashish SHUKLA)
To:        Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ashish SHUKLA <ashish@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a PAM config option to net-im/ejabberd

--=-=-=

Lawrence Stewart writes:
> On 01/31/11 00:45, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
>> Hi Lawrence,
>>=20
>> Lawrence Stewart writes:
>>> Hi Ashish,
>>=20
>>> What do you think about applying the attached patch to the ejabberd
>>> port? It installs some parts required to allow ejabberd to auth against
>>> PAM and is working great for me.
>>=20
>> Sure, I can apply it, once ports freeze is over. I also need to update
>> ejabberd. I'll do both together.

> Sounds good, thanks. One question: in order to get PAM auth working, you
> have to set uid root on the epam bits and chown them appropriately in
> order to allow things to work. Should the port installation process do
> these steps as well or should we leave them to the user? I would be
> inclined to have the port do them so that upgrading the port doesn't
> break PAM auth after the upgrade. We would want to print a big warning
> at the end of the port install about the set uid security aspects though.

Thanks for the mention, I suggest adding mention of setuid bit in the
description of the OPTION. And ofcourse port is going to set the setuid bit
during installation.

And `security-check' target in bsd.port.mk will catch the setuid bit set on
the installed executable, and will inform the user as well. So, adding a
warning about setuid bit be redundant, IMHO.

Thanks
=2D-=20
Ashish SHUKLA

=E2=80=9CShe dump(8)-ed me without caring to restore(8).=E2=80=9D (abbe, 20=
05)

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--