Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 01:54:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making the snoop device loadable.

> Why did it exist from FreeBSD-WhoKnowsWhen until 1999?  I'd like to use X

As I recall, this had something to do with shrinking the kernel for
PicoBSD, amongst other things.

> why NO_LKM is bad but couldn't find anything.  Could you help me find a
> discussion on it or tell me why disabling kernel modules is *not*
> security?  Assuming I'd notice a reboot and would consequently whup some
> butt if someone did.

Thing is; disabling kernel modules will avail you little, as an
illegitimate user can still use the memory devices to access physical
memory, and thus binary patch a live kernel. This is hard, but it can, and
has been done. Eivind mentioned one particular case with a person who
binary-patched the kernel of an old Unix to bypass the 14 character file
name length limitation without severing the uptime.

Marius