Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:00:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/sysinstall tcpip.c

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:01:21 -0400 (EDT), Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com> said:
>
> > Not when I tell my switch that port 1 is VLAN 1 and port 2 is VLAN 2.
> > Port 1 will never see port 2's traffic.
>
> It's generally considered something less than manageable to assign a
> separate /30 to every single machine in your network.  Granted, I
> for one have the address space to burn, but most people I know don't.
> :-)
>
> wollman@khavrinen$ rsh mintaka fgrep ' A ' /etc/named.db/lcs.db | wc -l
>     4156
>
> Oops... my switches only support 256 router interfaces.  I guess I
> can't use your idea to increase my address-space utilization from 0.5%
> to 2.1%.  Oh well....

I'm not talking about IP level, I'm talking about layer 2. I'll repeat my
previous statement: If I put two different machines on seperate VLANs
on my switch it doesn't matter what network protocol they run, they will
never see each other.

VLANs are not dependent on subnets.

--
- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -

PS. maybe we're talking about different subjects here.