Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:13:22 -0500
From:      "Wills, Ken" <kwills@gflesch.com>
To:        glgreen@mcafeemail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and Home Networking

 *Firewall - ipfw (included in base system).
 *File and Print Sharing - Samba (in ports).
 *Internet access for all clients - natd, presumably would suffice (base
system).
 *"Web page with security" - not sure exactly what you mean here,
   but apache is in ports.

> from the single cable line, the possibility to start and
> maintain a web page with security.  Why would FreeBSD be my
> best choice and also how easy is it to maintain?  Are there

Greg Lehey has a book called "The Complete FreeBSD", which comes with
a full 4cd FreeBSD set. Available at http://www.cdrom.com and finer
bookstores everywhere :)

As to how hard it is to maintain and why it would be better for you,
I can't answer that, and I doubt no one but you could. Depending
on your knowledge/time I think it makes an excellent solution. What
works best for me, however does not necessarily work best for you.
YMMV, as they say :)

> any Net/Sys Admin books available to help me out?  Can I use
> applications that are ported to Linux (Star Office, the GIMP,
> etc) on FreeBSD?

FreeBSD runs most linux software without any problems through the
linux emulation. GIMP can be run native, Star Office is run through
emulation.

Ken