Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 23:07:54 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (Brian W. Buchanan)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USERCONFIG_BOOT, heads up!

Brian W. Buchanan wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> >  disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 wd0s1
>
> Ack.  I did exactly that, then rebooted.  At the point where the boot
> prompt would, normally appear, the system simply rebooted itself.  I had
> to dig up an install floppy and restore the old bootloader.

Your BIOS may have a problem doing enhanced rather than conventional
disk access: a fair number seem to.  Microsoft apparently runs a series
of tests before enabling enhanced access, and we will probably be
forced to do something similar.

I've just committed a change disabling enhanced access by default, and
this may make a difference.

--
Robert Nordier