Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:04:13 -0200
From:      Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche@ua.ac.be>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and USBmemorystick

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 5:39:02 pm Pieter Donche wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 08:25:51PM +0100, Pieter Donche wrote:
> >> If I insert a USB memory stick in my laptop with FreeBSD 7.0 nothing
> >> happens. On the same laptop in the SuSE 10.1 partition, the same USB
> >> stick appears in Konqueror under Storage Media  and is ready to use)
> >> In FreeBSD, Konqueror shows nothing under Storage Media.
> >> Is this normal?
> >
> > What shows up in your kernel message log (outside of X, usually on the
> > first virtual console) when you insert the stick?  It should show a
> > umass device being added, then a daX device being added.
>
> There are indeed messages:
> umass0: <M-SysT5 Dell Memory Key, class ... > on uhub4
> da0: at umass-sim0 ...
> ..
> da0: 60 Mb   (OK, it is a 64 Mb key)
> GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider da0s1 is msdosfs/USB MEMORY
>
> also when unplugging, some messages
>
> $ ls -la /dev/da0s1
> shows only the character device line

OK then .. let's get it to work.

1) Open /etc/devfs.rules and add the following lines:
[system=10]
add path 'da*' mode 0666

(Edit that line to suit your needs)

2) Open /etc/rc.conf and add the following line
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

(Edit that line to suit your needs)

3) Create a mountpoint for your pendrive
mkdir -p ~/mnt/pen

(Edit that line to suit your needs)

4) Open /etc/fstab and add a line like this one

/dev/da0s1      /home/your_user_name/mnt/pen msdosfs rw,noauto   0   0

(Edit that line to suit your needs)

Reboot

Done ...

Now you can create a "Link to device" on your KDE desktop and make it point to
your /dev/da0s1. Insert your pendrive and click on your newly
created "pendrive" device link.

Remember to umount it before unplug it

Otherwise .. get ready to wrestle hal/dbus and policykit ...

Regards
--
Blessings
Gonzalo Nemmi