Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 16:10:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> > o	Move the definition vfs_opv_numops to node_if.c.  This is a
> > 	necessary change to allow the creation of kernels with zero
> > 	default file systems.  The previous code required that at
> > 	least one file system exist to correctly do initialization.
>
> hmm but devfs might be compulsory :)

"Allow", not "require".

DEVFS might be hooked in above the Heidemann framework.  8-).

> > Since these are full modified files, installing them, followed by a
> > CVS update, followed by a CVS checkin should be sufficient to put
> > them in the current source tree.
>
> This is not a good idea terry
> you should do a "cvs diff -c" or similar
> on the source tree to get diffs
>
> the trouble with full files is it's TOO EASY to spam
> someone else's patches when you over-write the file.
>
> With Patches, you get a .rej file in this case so you can merge the two
> changes..
>
> I think it might be an idea to supply your changes in that form..

Well, the idea is to do a fresh checkout and spam the checked out
files and then "cvs update" in case I did spam some changes.

I can provide the changes as diffs if you need them that way; I'll warn
you that you'll be in exactly the same boat applying them as the original
diff sets I sent (that's why I went to the trouble of sup + cvs + ...).

In particular, the vfs_syscalls.c changes will be hard to cope with as
diffs.

Will the local spam + "cvs diff" not work for you?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.