Date:      Tue, 3 May 2005 20:03:37 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make installworld (remotely)

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 08:50:47PM -0600, Pat Maddox wrote:
> Huh?  How about the many many production machines located at remote
> datacenters?  How do people upgrade those?

Personally speaking, by making sure I have a suitable backup plan for
when something unexpected happens (usually serial console).

> I've personally done hundreds of remote upgrades without ever
> rendering a machine unrecoverable.

Me too, but also some where something went wrong (power failure at
critical moment, change to kernel configuration I forgot to adapt for,
mis-merged /etc leading to sshd not starting, etc).

Kris

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62--