Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 20:10:08 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest laptop recommendations

> Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> > I have one of these, and yes it's likely to be superseded about then;
> > thats Dell's 3-month product cycle for you.  Mine was obsolete before it
> > was shipped. 8(  However, I also love it dearly already, and anticipate
> > many years of service out of it.
>
>      Mine wasn't supposed to ship for ~2 months (because of the
> 1400x1050 display and 10GB drive), but it arrived in just over a week.

*shrug*  I ordered before they started shipping (first ship date was Nov
17th), with a ship date of the 23rd.  I got a call on the 22nd or so
saying it was going to be late - it arrived that day.  Sounds like
they're not selling as well as Dell had hoped.

> > I didn't bother with XFree and pestered the Xig folks instead.  They
>
>      It's tempting, but it's hard for me to justify $200 on an X
> server.  The XFree86 Mach64 server is just sooo close to working.

It's hard to make a case for a $200 X server, yes.  However I just do the
math on what my time is worth to me, and consider that someone else is
paying for the software in my case anyway.

Plus, having just dropped $4k on a laptop, another $200 isn't such a
stretch.  8)

> [ I really, really wish purify was available for FreeBSD.  It would
>   probably make it much easier to fix the server.  ]

There was at least one other Purify-like tool that was open to being
ported; the drawback was simply getting enough customers that'd promise
to buy it.

> > > * Sound doesn't work.  The 7500 uses the Maestro 2E, which Brett
> > I'm not sure about that, but I haven't had time to go around with the OSS
> > folks lately.  I would hope we can get something resolved there soon.
>
>      Well, I'm using -current as of Dec. 2, +/- ~1 day.  I tried the OSS
> drivers for -current just this morning, and I only got garbled sound out
> of /dev/audio.

Sorry; I knew that audio didn't work, but I didn't want to make any
judgement about whose fault it was until after I've spoken to OSS.

>  An indication that the OSS sound drivers may need to be
> updated for the latest -current include the syslog message (reformatted
> for readability):
>
> 	/kernel: WARNING: driver oss should register devices with
> 		make_dev() (dev_t = "#oss/0")

That's harmless at the moment.

> [ I don't know if this could be causing problems, but the USB ifc, which
>   I'm *not* using, is using the same IRQ as the sound ifc.
>   Unfortunately, there seems to be no way (from the BIOS) to either
>   disable the USB port (not that I'd want to) or change the IRQs used by
>   the USB or sound devices.  ]

That's correct, and I'm trying to find someone at Dell to bitch about it
to.  OSS doesn't know how to share interrupts on FreeBSD at the moment
either, making it somewhat worse.