Date:      Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:10:08 GMT
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/162154: Handbook section 6.4.2 misordering.

The following reply was made to PR docs/162154; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To: "r. clayton" <rclayton@monmouth.edu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 20:36:18 +0300

 On 29/10/2011 7:41 μμ, r. clayton wrote:

 > The two paragraphs
 >
 >    As of version 7.3, Xorg can often work without any configuration file by
 >    simply typing at prompt:
 >
 >      % startx
 >
 >    Starting with version 7.4, Xorg can use HAL to autodetect keyboards and
 >    mice. The sysutils/hal and devel/dbus ports are installed as dependencies of
 >    x11/xorg, but must be enabled by the following entries in the /etc/rc.conf
 >    file:
 >
 >      hald_enable="YES"
 >      dbus_enable="YES"
 >
 >    These services should be started (either manually or by rebooting) before
 >    further Xorg configuration is attempted.
 >
 > in section 6.4.2 of
 >
 >    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html
 >
 > are in reverse order.  My experience has been running startx without enabling hald and dbus leaves me without a mouse or keyboard.
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 > Install xorg from ports, stop reading section 6.4 after the startx part, run startx.

 Heh, not a good idea to stop reading at the middle of the section :)
 But I totally agree with you about the ordering of the paragraphs.

 >> Fix:
 > It might be more accurate and helpful to flip the two paragraphs, something like
 >
 >    Starting with version 7.4, Xorg can use HAL to autodetect keyboards and
 >    mice. The sysutils/hal and devel/dbus ports are installed as dependencies of
 >    x11/xorg, but must be enabled by the following entries in the /etc/rc.conf
 >    file:
 >
 >      hald_enable="YES"
 >      dbus_enable="YES"
 >
 >    These services should be started (either manually or by rebooting) before
 >    further Xorg configuration is attempted.
 >
 >    As of version 7.3, Xorg can often work without any configuration file by
 >    simply typing at prompt:
 >
 >      % startx
 >
 > with suitable adjustments to the sentence starting "These services..." to
 > indicate that not only should these services be enabled before configuration,
 > but before using X11 at all.

 In fact, I think we can completely remove the version information at
 this point. We've had 7.5 in the ports for some time now, I doubt anyone
 would install 7.2 now - the reference only serves historical purposes. I
 would suggest something like the following:

 "Xorg  uses HAL to autodetect keyboards and mice. The sysutils/hal and
 devel/dbus ports are installed as dependencies of x11/xorg, but must be
 enabled by the following entries in the /etc/rc.conf file:

 hald_enable="YES"
 dbus_enable="YES"
 These services should be started (either manually or by rebooting)
 before further Xorg configuration or use is attempted.

 Xorg can often work without any further configuration steps, by simply
 typing at prompt:

 % startx

 The automatic configuration may fail to work with some hardware, or may
 not set things up quite as desired. In these cases, manual configuration
 will be necessary...."