Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:33:03 -0500
From:      "Patrick Simon" <mailsimon@gmx.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD customer support inquiry (installation support)

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01BF937D.09E4FC20

From: P. Simon (mailsimon@gmx.net)
Date: 21/03/00 @135
Subject: FreeBSD customer support inquiry
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

I got a particular problem with the FreeBSD setup (installation) on
my
ECHOS P90 (laptop). I already read your F.A.Q., Hardware support list
and your online documentations. But my specified problem isn't
mentioned
at all. I tried to get as much informations as possible and I hope
that you
can support me. Thank you very much for your support.

- - Your new customer. P.Simon

1.0 PROBLEMS (installation)::

The problem occurs right after I put on my computer. The following
start-up
installation occurs and stops (no hang-up) at the last line::
[The previous installed system is RedHat Linux 6.1 2.2.12-20 Kernel
(Cartman).]

Boot message with kern.flp on floppy 1.44:
- ----[START]------------------------
/boot.config: -P
Keyboard: no
- -
BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
- ----[END]--------------------------

2.0 HARDWARE (Olivetti Echos laptops) ::
The various Olivetti Echos and Echos Pro models, ranging from Pentium
90 to Pentium 150, have the following features (which might change as
new models appear):
!!!SEE ON THE RIGHT SIDE FOR MY CONFIGURATION!!! ===> ===> ===> ===>
                                                    [ECHOS P90
"Pentium 90"]

- ------------------------------
Support for 8 to 40Mb RAM.
                                                    [40 MB RAM +
0256K Cache SRAM]
Internal removable disk of either 510Mb, 810Mb, 1Gb, 1.2Gb or 2Gb.
                                                    [1.2Gb]
TFT or DSTN display of 10.4", 11.3", 11.8" or 12.1" capable of
resolutions of 640x480 (VGA) or 800x600 (SVGA).            [640x480
10.4" VGA]
Chips and Technologies CT65545/CT65548 based PCI video card, 1Mb
(Echos) or Cirrus Logic CL-GD7548 (Echos Pro)            [CT65545 1MB
RAM]
SB Pro compatible 16-bit sound card with build in speakers and
microphone.
[informations N/A]
CD-ROM drive, quad speed or more, IDE/ATAPI, interchangeable with the
floppy drive or second battery pack (optional).     [TEAC CDROM 4X
IDE with interchangeable floppy drive]
Two button PS/2 touchpad.
                                                    [same as
mentioned]
Two PCMCIA II slots or one PCMCIA III slot.
                                                    [2X PCMCIA II
Slots] [1. 3COM 3C589B EtherLink III] [2.Linksys EthernetCard EC2T]
Interfaces for external monitor, mouse, microphone and speakers.
Infrared serial link.                                    [same as
mentioned]

3.0 HARDWARE AND BIOS (startup and splash messages included)::

System Startup message:
- ---[START]------------------------
PhoenixBIOS Version 4.04 1.30.1 NT

CPU = Pentium 90 Mhz
0000640K System RAM Passed
0039936K Extended RAM Passed
0256K Cache SRAM Passed
Keyboard Controller Ver 1.5
Mouse initialized
- ---[END]--------------------------

System splash message:
- ---[START]-------------------------
CPU [90 MHz]: Pentium
Coprocessor:  Installed

System RAM:   640 Kb
Extended RAM: 39936Kb
Shadow RAM:   384 Kb
Cache RAM:    256 Kb

Hard Disk 0:  1216 Mb
"1:none
"2:none
"3:none

System ROM:   F655 - FFFF
BIOS Date:    10/22/96

COM Ports:    03F8
LPT Ports:    0378
Display Type: EGA \ VGA
PS/2 Mouse:   Installed

Diskette A:   1.44 MB, 3 1/2
":none

3.0 MISCELLANEOUS

Laptop Vendor    (http://www.olivetti.it) (http://www.olivetti.com)
FreeBSD Resource (ftp://download.sourceforge.com)