Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:56:14 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting to code

Laurence Berland wrote:

> What's a good place to start if you're a university student with limited
> hardware who wants to jump in and get going with the FreeBSD code.
> Right now I've got a PPro 200 with 32 MB of ram and lots of disk space
> (~50 gigs).  10 gigs or so is used by FreeBSD-Stable.  I'm thinking of
> tossing Current on also, and maybe making the cvs repo a separate
> partition so I can share it between current and stable.

I love it when people call a PPro 200 with 32 MB "limited hardware".  My
first Free/NetBSD machine was a 386/40 with 8MB RAM and a 340 MB disk, and
it was state of the art except for lack of a CD-ROM drive.

> Mostly at this point I'm looking for a way to jump head first into the
> code.  Where's a good starting point?

Look at the PR database, pick a problem, and start looking.  Better yet,
pick something that works but isn't documented and write a man page.  In
order to write a man page, you need to really understand the code, and
will probably need to write one or several little test programs to exercise
whatever you're documenting.