Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 07:57:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current no longer builds on the alpha

> As Matthew Jacob wrote ...
> >
> > Q'uelle strange- what I have... well, we'll see what my nightly build
> > brings...
>
> Mine fell over in 'truss'. I already reported it to Marcel, looks
> like something was changed in kdump/mkioctls, a script that 'truss' also
> uses.

Mine's still going (I start mine at 0430 PST8PDT, the update from
freefall runs at 0107 PST8PDT)).... Nope, what a coincidence. It *just*
finished. Went all the way through w/o errors on a buildworld.

> > > It's an Aspen systems DEC Durango PC164 motherboard based system.
>
> Doesn't that one have ECC memory (refering to a previous post where
> you theorised a bit on memory problems and sig-11s ;)

It may or may not, but memory problems are typically detected pretty well
on alphas and you'll get a 670 machine check if it was recoverable (which
the PALcode has already done, except for TurboLaser if the memory problem
was caused by one of the I/O boards (PALcode cannot go offboard to read
registers on another board to find out what address was porked, IIRC)), or
a 660 machine check, which is a panic. At any rate, this is a different
entry point than mmu traps.

It's not like I don't get sig-11s... ctags always seems to core dump on
me- somewhere up in libc.

-matt