Date:      Sun, 4 May 2008 19:19:26 +0530
From:      "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        "Roopinder Singh" <rs@midearth.co.uk>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>, fbsd_chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tired of Hierarchies

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Roopinder Singh <rs@midearth.co.uk> wrote:
>  On Sun, May 4, 2008 11:24 am, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>  > If you want to index your files (metadata, or informative filenames, or
>  > whatever) and dump them all in one directory, go ahead.  Thinking about
>  > a suitable indexing system is an exercise for the reader.  (A non-trivial
>  > exercise.  Library indexing systems are still a topic of research; I imagine
>  > the complexity of indexing millions of items of entirely disparate kinds of
>  > data, such as a typical computer contains, would be phenomenal.)
>
>  Doesn't Beagle do this exact thing ? Or, have I got it completely wrong ?
>
>  http://beagle-project.org/Main_Page

Well, Beagle tries to spare you the trouble of doing metadata by looking inside
the files... and it handles directory trees fine.  If you want to do what Jason
suggests -- dump everything in a single directory (like a single library room)
and depend on metadata and indexing to find what you want, Beagle would be
overkill...

By the way, I don't think the indexed public library analogy is correct.
Searching your computer would be like searching your individual home
library, which, if it has thousands of books, can be a non-trivial problem
unless you have been extremely systematic...

Rahul