Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2007 05:06:55 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gabor@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org, cvs-doc@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, simon@FreeBSD.org, joel@FreeBSD.org, doc-committers@FreeBSD.org, keramida@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: www/en/docproj translations.sgml

----Security_Multipart(Fri_Jan_12_05_06_55_2007_932)--

[-doc@ added to Cc: list]

Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <45A63738.4010207@FreeBSD.org>:

ga> Hiroki Sato schrieb:
ga> > Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote
ga> >   in <45A3F432.4090502@FreeBSD.org>:
ga> > ga> >
ga> > ga> For a drop-down list similarly as mirrors are listed? I remember to have
ga> > ga> seen such screenshot somewhere and I find it a great idea.
ga> >
ga> >  I prefer to put the language list to the bottom of the page as a
ga> >  content of the footer, and all pages should have it if possible (with
ga> >  some automation).  Two drop-down lists in the page, one for language
ga> >  and another for location is a confusing design for readers, I think.
ga> >
ga> >
ga>
ga> Well, I think it should be kept somewhere at the top. It I were a new
ga> user and saw the website I'm pretty sure I could hardly notice the
ga> languages at the bottom. One has to scroll down even with higher
ga> resolution to see the bottom of the page, so one can't see the website
ga> as a whole.

 Good point.  I was thinking a style used in www.gnu.org (a link
 "Translations of this page" in the header and the language list in
 the footer).  And one of the reasons why I suggest it is that I
 really want to mark or get rid of outdated translations in some way
 (at build time, not to remove from CVS completely, of course)---if we
 only have a link to the translated top page only, people who usually
 read the translated pages are likely to fail to notice newly-added
 contents under the top page in the English version.  If we have the
 language list in the footer, I think it would not be an eyesore even
 if it put at the bottom of (nearly) all pages as well as we would not
 have a trouble with overflowing the space at the page top.  So I
 think it is better than simply making the language bar longer.  The
 current version also has some other problems---well, is it easy to
 understand "zh_CN" means Chinese?

 Anyway, I will submit this idea in a patch later for further
 discussion.  Any comments are welcome.