Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2015 19:29:54 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        PK1048 <paul@pk1048.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, javocado <javocado@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Optimizing performance with SLOG/L2ARC

> On 19.08.2015 =D0=B3., at 19:10, PK1048 <paul@pk1048.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Aug 19, 2015, at 12:02, Schweiss, Chip <chip@innovates.com> wrote:
>=20
>>  ZFS doesn't play well with the
>> ZIL on the pool with SSDs.   Even an SSD of the same type as the pool
>> devices as the log device will fix the latency problem and throughput
>> problems.
>=20
> If your load is sync writes then you decidedly want a LOG device, even =
if it is the same type as the devices in the pool. For the reasons =
others have posted.
>=20

This is because of the reason I mentioned earlier. When you don=E2=80=99t =
have separate SLOG, ZFS will allocate the ZIL record from the pool =
blocks, then when the blocks are at their intended location, delete that =
ZIL record from the pool. This plays bad with SSDs. You also get much =
fragmentation.

When you have SLOG, ZFS will write the ZIL record to the SLOG, then =
(batch) write the blocks to their intended place, then forget about the =
SLOG (it=E2=80=99s not freed, just overwritten). This plays much better =
with SSDs.

You should get much better performance, with pure-SSD pool, if you =
allocate small portion of the same SSD for SLOG. I know it sounds =
counderintuitive. :)
Of course, much better performance with separate SSD for the SLOG.

Daniel