Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:54:21 -0800
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tips for installing windows and freeBSD both.. anyone??

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

Quoth Rob Farmer on Tuesday, 09 November 2010:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 16:09, Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com> wr=
ote:
> > A GUI provids a =A0_fixed_ set of predefined operations that it is poss=
ible to
> > perform.
> >
> > IF your needs are met =3Dentirely=3D by the provided operations, great.=
 =A0If not,
> > you're dead in the water, without any way to accomplish the task.
>=20
> How is this different from the command line? If I have a set of data
> and want to sort it in a way that "sort" doesn't have an argument for,
> I'm just as dead in the water as with the GUI. In fact, with the GUI I
> am probably better off because I can see that this is not supported
> within the program, without having to use the documentation.

I don't know how anyone who has done much automation could say such a
thing.  Command lines and pipes offer an exponentially greater set of
possibilities than could ever be presented in a GUI.

I don't know about others, but I spent many years being pro-GUI.  I led
the charge for getting software companies to port their applications to
Windows and use IDEs for development.  It is only recently that I have
come to my senses.

I should have known better.  Back in the 80s when I worked on tax
preparation software, the marketing department wanted a more demoable UI.
So we put a ton of time into creating an interface that looked like the
IRS forms, instead of the one we had where the user keyed in a code that
indicated what line on what form they wanted to input, followed by the
input itself.  When we released this, the marketing department loved it,
our customers' higher-ups thought it was nice, but the actual input
operators hated it.  They were evaluated on how much data they could
enter, not on their enjoyment of the task.
> [...]
'early'
> > days (MS-DOS vintage, before 'windows'), =A0each table was kept in a se=
parate
> > spreadsheet, which _did_ require the redundant entry of a _small_ amoun=
t of
> > the data. OTOH two (or more) differnt people could be updatdin differen=
t paes
> > simultaneously, regardless of whether or not they were 'related'. =A0An=
d, at
> > the end of the week, when it was time to send out the weeks 'updates' t=
o the
> > customers, =A0we had a simple little '.BAT file, each line of which; (a=
) invoked
> > the spreadsheet =A0(b) specified the spreadsheet file to use, and (c) i=
nvoked
> > a 'start-up macro' that printed the contents of the spreadseet, and exi=
ted
> > the program. =A0Thus, on 'publication' day it was just type in the name=
 of the
> > '.BAT file and everthing got printed. =A0It took an hour or two -- of _=
machine_time_
> > that is, but _zero_ human intervention.
> >
> > Fast forward a few years, =A0a new-hire analyist (in a senior capacity)=
 felt
> > humiliated at having to use this 'old' technology (they had Windows at =
his
> > prior employer), and made a big enough stink about it that the shop upg=
raded
> > to Windows just to keep him happy. He proceeds to bundle all 'his' spre=
adsheets
> > into a single workbook, so that only one person can be working on any o=
f them
> > at any given time, and, on 'publication day', somebody had to sit there=
 and
> > click on each relevant/changed =A0sheet in the workbook, click on' file=
', click
> > on print, select the page to print, and click 'doit'. =A0 What a *wonde=
rful*
> > productivity increase!! =A0We've now got a system that requires a -huma=
n- to
> > play babysitttr the machine. =A0For a couple of -hours- every week. =A0=
all to save
> > the complainer from having to enter a few numbers redundantly.
>=20
> This isn't really a GUI problem, because the issue is the file format
> changing such that your .bat no longer worked. If you retained the
> original format or fixed the script, it would still work fine.
>=20
> However, it still points out one of the biggest problems with the CLI
> - there is a barrier to entry in knowing what commands to run with
> what arguments to make everything work the way you want. File > Print
> was easy for your office staff to figure out. The CLI equivalent

Perhaps a barrier to entry is a good thing for those who don't know what
they're doing.