Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 05:47:10 GMT
From:      cktan <cktan@ocesb.com.my>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/126874: Zebra problem if ifconfig vlanX destroy

>Number:         126874
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Zebra problem if ifconfig vlanX destroy
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Hi all,

We noticed there is some issue with the Zebra in Freebsd 7.0 whereby we are using quagga to run the OSPF and BGP service in our network and we noticed if we try to destroy a vlan at kernel level, the zebra will just end up with the error message below and the whole bgp and ospf service will just stop running. We need to restart the quagga service every time if we need to destroy a vlan. This does not happen in freebsd 6.3 and version earlier then 6.3.

zebra[3125]: if_ioctl(SIOCGIFFLAGS) failed: Device not configured

Just for your information about the step we take to destroy a vlan:

1) remove the subnet from ospfd by using telnet to port 2604
2) ssh into the box and remove the vlan by issue the command ifconfig vlanX destroy

When we remove the subnet from ospfd, the system still running fine. However, if we destroy the vlan then only the problem come out. We had just migrated all the routers to freebsd 7.0 and only realize this problem lately.

Please don't hesitate to contact me via my email should you need further information from me.

Thanks,