Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 95 10:55:13 PST
From:      troyc@sandy.merix.com (Troy Curtiss)
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Serial anomalies

I have 486dx50 here at work I have configured to be a modem pool.
I am running 1.1.5.1 with an STB 4-Com serial card set up to share
interrupt 15.  At first I had the card on IRQ 11, but I kept  gettign
'strayint f' messages... thinking it was something flaky about the
4-Com; anyway, I moved the card over to IRQ 15 and the problem seemed
to go away for a while... Now, I am getting some wierd messages that
the sio manpage says is a problem with the bottom half of the sio
driver.  Here's an excerpt from dmesg:

sio6: 5 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 5)
sio6: 48 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 53)
sio6: 128 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 181)
sio6: 3 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 184)
sio6: 78 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 262)
sio6: 25 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 287)

So far as I can tell, I am not losing any data, or at least haven't
heard any customer complaints.  Is this 'strayint f' a hardware problem
that my sio driver thinks is an actual serial interrupt... If so, is there
a problem just letting these strayint f's happen and moving my serial interrupt
to something else??  Oh... here's how the kernel probes my sio stuff if it
is of any use:

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio4 at 0x3e8-0x3ef flags 0x705 on isa
sio4: type 16550A (multiport)
sio5 at 0x2e8-0x2ef flags 0x705 on isa
sio5: type 16550A (multiport)
sio6 at 0x1e8-0x1ef flags 0x705 on isa
sio6: type 16550A (multiport)
sio7 at 0x1a8-0x1af irq 15 flags 0x705 on isa
sio7: type 16550A (multiport master)

The problem only surfaces when using the STB 4-Com ports (sio4-7).  Any
info would be great, as this is annoying, but isn't causing any real problems.
THanks,

Troy Curtiss, HW/SW Engineer, Merix Corporation
Forest Grove, OR 97116