Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 14:44:57 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        The Mad Maniac <TMM@infothuis.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gateway="yes" and what else?

On Tue, Jul 14, 1998 at 02:23:25PM +0200, The Mad Maniac wrote:
> hello,
>
> i just figured out how to run named for a local network, enabling every
> computer on the lan to use names (local names and inet names).
> this works quite well.
>
> However, when i ping from a client to the gateway machine (also the
> named server) the ping get's it's name ok, but then there is no route to
> host. So i guess the gateway isn't really working ok. However, i did set
> gateway="yes" and routed="yes" in rc.conf. For the rest one can assume i
> didn't change anything (besides changes needed for named)
>
> since i usually babble random, here some drawing to clarify what i want
> :)
>
>   client(lan)  ->   freebsd-machine(gateway)  -> inet
>
> the freebsd machine can 'talk' to the inet, and to the client, the
> client doesn't get any farther than the freebsd-machine.
>
> Could someone tell me what i forgot to do?

Did you tell all your client machines to use the FreeBSD box as their
default gateway?  Can you ping the clients from the gateway?

You probably don't need routed for your particular network setup -- static
routing will be fine.  Also make sure you're using some kind of IP aliasing
on the gateway box so your local IP numbers don't leak out into the
Internet (unless they are real, officially assigned numbers...)

	Scott