Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:22:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
To:        Dave Lau <freebsd_questions@yahoo.com>, Newbies <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mount wd0 on wd1 drive

--- Dave Lau <freebsd_questions@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question:
>
> I have a freeBSD 3.4 release installed on my second
> hard drive(wd1) on my new computer. This drive is
> taken from an older computer as wd0. The problem is
> that when I boot, the bootloader does recognize the
> current disk is disk2s3, which means it can
> distinguish from disk1s3 when it was in older
> computer. But after the kernel probes the hardware
> and
> boots the root / fs, it still wants to read from
> wd0s3a, and no doubt it can't mount and reboot
> automatically. Then, I've tried again, before
> booting
> the kernel, using boot -c to userconfig first, and
> see
> from the list of the current configured devices,
> only
> wcd0 is configured, but I can't even add wcd1.
> Anyone
> knows how can I change the mount point when booting
> the kernel?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

I'm confused.  Is there an operating system booting
from the current wd0 (the newer drive)?  If not, why
not install the older drive as the master drive?

If there is an operating system booting from the newer
drive, consider trying this:
1. Boot from the newer drive's operating system.
2. Try to mount the older drive.
3. Make a backup copy of /etc/fstab on the older
drive.
4. Edit /etc/fstab on the older drive to reflect the
new hardware configuration.

I hope this helps.

Andrew Gould