Date:      Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:34:07 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        Kan Cai <kan.cai@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install freebsd with usb keyboard

--On Monday, June 13, 2005 22:16:38 -0700 Kan Cai <kan.cai@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Paul:
>
>   Thanks for the reply, but it didn't work. I tried 3 keyboards and 2
> FreeBSD releases (5.2.1, and 5.3R1). The combination of logitech keyboard
> with 5.2.1 does highlight the keymap option in sysinstall menu, but that
> is how far it goes. The keyboard stops working so that I cannot press
> "space", "tab" or "enter".

I'm not sure I explained myself clearly.  Let's try again.

***During the boot process***** before you ever get to sysinstall, when the
daemon shows up on the screen and you're given a menu with several options,
if you look closely, option seven (7) must be chosen to use a usb keyboard
**during the install**.

If you're waiting until the sysinstall appears, that's way too late.  You
need to chose option 7 before the kernel even loads, almost immediately
after the system boots.

If you *are* doing that and the keyboards aren't working anyway, then I
have no idea what the problem might be.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas