Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:35:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Hamilton <matt@clintondale.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI spindowns and CAM

Dear All,
  I've been meaning to ask this for a while,a nd I wonder if now anything
has changed with CAM being introduced:  Is it possible to spin down SCSI
disks when not in use?  Somehow send them a STOP command after a certain
amount of inactivity?  Or trigger it from APM or something?  My old IDE
disks used to spin down after inactivity via a bios setting, and I seem to
remember FreeBSD had no problems with this.

For the record my controller is an onboard AIC7880 and I'm running
-current with CAM (aout)

Also I get this:

da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da0: <IBM DFHSS2W 1717> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
da0: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 2150MB (4404489 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 274C)
da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
da1: <IBM DFHSS2W 4G4G> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
da1: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da1: 2150MB (4404489 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 274C)

Both the drives are WIDE SCSI-II and I thought they are meant to run at
20MB/s  (I have 20Mb/s set in my Adaptec BIOS)?  I haven't had them very
long and so I'm not sure if they were indeed running 20MB/s before CAM was
introduced.

Any insight?

-Matt