Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:28:30 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        doug <doug@safeport.com>
Cc:        Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>, Drew Sanford <lauasanf@wilderness.dyn.dhs.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error compiling kernel after cvsup

> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:27:05 -0500 (EST)
> From: doug <doug@safeport.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Your first email sorta implied you were doing thing in the wrong order
> which should be:
>
> 	make buildworld
> 	make buildkernel KERNCONF=client
> 	make installkernel KERNCONF=client
> 	make installworld
>         mergemaster
>         reboot
>
> If you are now sitting with a kernel and userland that do not match,
> advise on get that back in sync needs to come from wiser heads than me.

While the order is correct, for the safest way to do this you need to
add a step:
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=client
make installkernel KERNCONF=client
reboot to single user mode (NOT the same as a shutdown to single-user!)
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

This assures that your new kernel will actually boot before you commit
to replacing your entire userland and possibly leave your system dead
until you can restore the prior userland.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)