Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 09:23:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem race with Multilink PPP

I have a problem dialing into a 3Com/USR Total control rack using two modems
and multilink PPP.

When the FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE system is rebooted both the modems try dialing
at once and establish ppp sessions at virtually the same second according to
the radius logs, but it does not becom a multilink session. When I force the
lines to hang up the next time they dial in multilink PPP works fine.

I suspect the fact that they dial in at exactly the same time after a reboot
is the source of the problem.

Is there a way of making the modems dial say 30 seconds apart?

Here is my ppp.conf minus the correct passwords. It's using a Stallion
Easyio 8 port board hence the funny device names.

- Ernie.

default:
 set log phase chat physical connect
 set device /dev/cue0 /dev/cue1
 set speed 57600
 set phone "555-555-555"
 deny lqr
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set login
 set authname name
 set authkey "password"
 set timeout 0
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 set mrru 1500
 clone 1,2
 link deflink remove