Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:08:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp not talking to to 10baseT network

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> >I'm running two identical machines with 30-970618-SNAP (dual processor
> >P133's) both with Intel Etherexpress Pro100B netcards.
> >
> >The netcards don't seem to want to talk to our 10baseT network properly
> >anymore, at least after a couple of hours they stop talking to the network
> >and I need to go find the console and just basically frob with them a
> >bit... It doesn't seem to matter what I do from the console, just have to
> >ping -f the broadcast address or change the ifconfig settings (e.g. add or
> >remove an option like link1 or something).
> >
> >After this the cards work fine again for a couple of hours... Well, until
> >they are inactive again for a while...
>
>    Sounds like the bug in the early 82557 chips is getting you - the receiver
> will lock up when it gets certain types of garbage. Changing the settings
> with ifconfig causes the chip to be reset, clearing the condition. There are
> at least two possible solutions: find out what is causing the garbage on
> your network and fix it, or get the cards replaced with ones that have "rev 2"
> chips (which have the hardware bug fixed).

The second solution sounds best, replacing the cards. In the meantime can
you let me know what sort of "garbage" I might be looking for on the
network? or how to find it?

[I'll still try and get the cards replaced as I've just checked and they
don't have any revision 2 type markings on them =(]

Many Thanks,

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342