Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:33:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        mcwong@hotmail.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM card for 2.2.5R

>  Can someone recommend the right ATM adapter card for use in conjunction
>  with the HARP implementation ?

	the HARP directly supports the following cards:
1) Fore PCA-200E ATM PCI Adapters
2) Efficient Networks, Inc. ENI-155p ATM PCI Adapters

	I wrote the driver for:
3) IDT NICStAR (this is an evaluation board from IDT)
	see http://www.idt.com for NICStAR card information
	    ftp://ftp.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu/pub/freebsd/atm/... for driver

>  The main purpose is to do some traffic simulation from FreeBSD. Does
>  the HARP implementation give sufficient hooks or API to do certain
>  traffic shaping ?

HARP itself is Classic IP over ATM. The ATM card drivers that come with
HARP do not support Quality of Service. from looking at the code, I would
say from my limited understanding of the HARP device drivers, they act as UBR.

I wrote hooks for CBR, VBR into my NICStAR driver, but with the HARP
stack these features are not being used. IDT SAR has three priority queues for
VBR | ABR | UBR that we can define N/M values. If the highest priority
queue does not have a cell to send then the next lower queue is checked.
this is fine for UBR since it gets everything left over, but I am concerned
about middle queue getting its minimum bandwidth.

Since I bought the wrong media type for our ATM switch, my NICStAR driver was
developed using a "NULL-SWITCH cable" (a twisted, twisted pair cable). I have
not directly verified the IDT's SAR traffic shaping is conforming, but I
have no doubts that it does put out only conforming packets for the specified
N/M values I give it. I also had problems distinquishing some Payload Types
(PT 4 is received as a PT 5 and PT 6 is received as a PT 7), so there may be
a problem with ABR congestion control.

yes, freebsd-atm@freebsd.org. To join or exit, send mail

$ echo "[un]subscribe freebsd-atm" | mail majordomo@freebsd.org

>  Thanks in advance.