Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 08:30:56 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

Don Lewis wrote:

> While proper cross-compilation would be really nice to have, it won't solve
> the "make world" problem.  It would get you through "make buildworld", but
> "make installworld" will overwrite the system binaries with new versions that
> use the new signal syscalls that the currently running kernel doesn't support.
> It would even be possible to cross-compile a new kernel, but it still has
> to be installed and the system rebooted before installing userland.

Correct. If you want to be able to upgrade your -stable system to
-current by simply typeing 'make upgrade', then building and installing
the kernel should be part of that target. The installworld problem can
then be solved like this (for example):

1) backup binaries that are needed by installworld
2) Install a new kernel
3) install world
4) reboot

If installworld fails halfway through step 3, and leaves you with an
unusable system, then rebooting should be able to solve that.

> In this particular case, the only thing cross-compilation would buy us
> is the ability to build (but not install) 4.x binaries on a machine
> running 3.x.  It sounds like some folks would be satisfied just having
> that.

Exactly, but done properly (or at all) installing may be possible as
well. I think we should aim for that to happen and see where it leads
us.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/