Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:23:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Ports layout reorganization (Re: ports tree idea: Combine DESCR and COMMENT)

Satoshi Asami wrote:

> One reason why I'm not very thrilled about combining COMMENT and DESCR
> is that it will require a lot of manual work to merge them -- you
> can't just "cat COMMENT DESCR > DESCR2; mv DESCR2 DESCR; cvs remove -f
> COMMENT; cvs commit".  People actually need to read the DESCR files
> and merge the COMMENT lines in as appropriate.
>

> So I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.  On the other hand, moving
> COMMENT into Makefiles would be much easier.  As long as we look out
> for special characters, it can be done automatically.  However, as I
> said above, the extra directories are an order of magnitude more
> significant than extra files.  We can revisit this issue later.

I like the idea of having the comments in the makefiles.  The DESCR files
as they are already contain a detailed description, and COMMENT a brief
description. A port's Makefile, though, often doesn't have that
information.  It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/x54.html#AEN67) but portlint
encourages us to have 24 or fewer lines of text in DESCR files. If the
first line had to be the brief description, I'd want to leave a blank line
beneath it, leaving only 22 lines.

> As for reducing the number of directories, this is what I came up
> with.  Comments welcome.

>   Makefile
>   checksum (<- files/md5)

Often there is more than one checksum in this file.  How about
"checksums," "cksums" or just "sums" instead?

>   pkg-comment
>   pkg-descr
>   pkg-plist
>    (and other pkg files)

I don't see the value of the pkg- prefix.  I do see myself typing two
extra characters ("p" then tab) to work with those files from the shell,
if the prefix is added.

> I do not like moving all the patches into the main directory.  It's
> not only the number of patches, but the unpredictability of the
> directory listing caused by different lengths (more variations now
> with filenames included) and number of patches.  I want to know where
> to look for my stuff when I do a "ls". :)

The OpenBSD-style naming I proposed would retain the patch- prefix for
patches.  That would keep them all in the same place unless you used the
-t option to ls.

> or heaven forbid:
>
> ===
> ## ls
> total 21
> 1 CVS/                     1 patch-ac                 1 pkg-comment
> 1 Makefile                 1 patch-ad                 1 pkg-descr
> 1 checksum                 1 patch-af                 1 pkg-plist
> 1 files/                   1 patch-ag                 2 scripts-create-dev-link*
> 3 patch-aa                 1 patch-ai
> 3 patch-ab                 1 patch-ba
> ===

I could live with this, even if the patches had longer names that forced a
single-column listing.  I realize that some porters cannot.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt