Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 95 10:51:54 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: devices going offline

> >     When an external device has the capability of being manually
> > taken offline during an operation, should the driver automatically
> > resume when the device returns online? Or, abort the operation
> > in progress (signalling an error)?  Or, prompt (how?) for user
> > intervention??
>
> It simply can't do the latter.  (A device driver does not have an
> interactive terminal, and it does not need to have an attached process
> while operating in the ``bottom half'' of the kernel.)
>
> I'd say: EIO.

I'd say Plug-N-Play device management to get a handler that can do
the right thing with devices appearing and disappearing in a general
way.

Like Win95's "Volume Manager", actually a more generic "Resource Manager".

The biggie for implementation is callback registration by the drivers,
which is a pain for loading/unloading them without doing yet more
callback registration.

Win95 has some clever ideas, especially in their file system, as silly
as that might seem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---