Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 13:46:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, alk@pobox.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld stops in strip

On Sat, 30 May 1998 at 13:23:03 +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> Tony Kimball wrote:
>> cp strip maybe_stripped
>> strip maybe_stripped
>> strip: maybe_stripped: File format not recognized
>
> Which strip directory is this?
> My guess is that the ELF strip (from gnu/usr.bin/binutils/strip) is
> being executed instead of the aout version.

Almost correct.  This happened to me.  I had . in my path, and as you
can see there's a strip in the current directory, so that's the one it
executed.  It doesn't understand a.out.  I took out the . and all ran
fine.

I didn't mention this, because I know the number of people who would
come and say "don't put . in your PATH", but I'm apparently not the
only one :-)

Greg