Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:31:54 +0300
From:      Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Does this disk/filesystem layout look sane to you?

The main reason for NOT using zfs directly on raw disks is the fact
that you cannot replace a vdev in a pool with a smaller one, only with
one of equal size or bigger. This leads to a problem: if you are a
regular Joe User (and not a company buying certified hardware from a
specific vendor) and want to replace one of the disks in your pool.
The new 2tb disk you buy can very often be actually a few sectors
smaller then the disk you are trying to replace, this in turn will
lead to zfs not accepting the new disk as a replacement, because it's
smaller (no matter how small).

Using zfs on partitions instead and keeping a few gb unused on each
disk leaves us with some room to play and be able to avoid this issue.

- Dan Naumov