Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 1996 05:18:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Adam W. Dace" <thekind@NETural.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device Support / PCI Ethernet

Hello all, due to a suggestion of a friend I'm currently wanting to test out
FreeBSD in hopes of abondoning Linux on our servers here.  I love Linux
to death, but it's networking is a bit uhm, hacked shall I say?  I've
also heard with FreeBSD NFS is actually does quite well in the
performance department, where Linux's is more of a joke than anything else..

One thing disturbs me, however.  Lack of PCI Ethernet support.

Both of our servers have 3c590 PCI 10Base-T cards in them, and my desktop
machine at work is a SMC-WD DE435-based chipsed PCI card (I forget the
actually manufacturer's product name).  Ala Linux it is:

Oct 31 16:18:51 tanelorn kernel: eth0: DE435 at 0xd000 (PCI device 15),
h/w address 00:00:c0:0a:03:c6,
Oct 31 16:18:51 tanelorn kernel:       and requires IRQ5 (not probed).
Oct 31 16:18:51 tanelorn kernel: de4x5.c:v0.241 4/18/95 davies@wanton.lkg.dec.co

I saw on the www.freebsd.org archives that 3c590 support is in the
FreeBSD-current source tree as of recently, by any chance is the DE435
chipset supported as well?

Also, is there any chance of actually running a -stable- server off of
these "current" kernels?  Perhaps its possible to patch in drivers into
the "release" kernel as I've done with Linux 1.2.13?

Hoping to watch FreeBSD scream on his desktop,

| Adam W. Dace <thekind@NETural.com>  | NETural Communications, Inc.         |
|       Technical Zone Contact        | Paying too much for your Net access? |
|       http://www.NETural.com/       | NETural Voice: (312) 819-2231        |