Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2010 21:04:41 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Ond=C5=99ej_Majerech?= <oxyd.oxyd@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: display and manipulate math symbols?

On 9 February 2010 20:27, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> As you intendedly state that you're not searching for a
> solution in the field of typesetting - where LaTeX comes
> to mind immediately - I could imagine that you can do it
> the hard way.
>
> First, see the symbols here:
>
> http://web.ift.uib.no/Fysisk/Teori/KURS/TeX/symALL.html
>
> Split the images into individual ones, and then use a
> graphics suite, such as Gimp or OpenOffice Draw, to drag
> them around the screen and combine a formula from them.
>
> Surely, you would be massively faster doing it with LaTeX,
> but there's no mouse involved. :-)

There is also this site: http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html .
It allows you to draw a mathematical symbol -- with your mouse -- and
it will guess how you write that in LaTeX.

As I guess the main reason for wanting to move symbols around visually
is so that you don't have to remember tons of TeX sequences, this
could be rather helpful.

~ Ondra